Thank you for your interest in a Camp Ministry Internship with Lutherhaven Ministries!
Lutherhaven offers unique paid internships that provide hands-on experience in outdoor ministry, community organizing, program development and administration, communication, and teaching that are invaluable to careers in Christian camping, outdoor recreation, education, non-profit leadership, youth and pastoral ministry, and many others.
Interns work alongside Lutherhaven’s professional camp staff in outdoor education, youth and adult retreats, congregational and community outreach, and summer camp planning—all in a the context of an award-winning* Christ-centered community.
Internships with Lutherhaven Ministries provide the right environment for ministry-minded individuals to reach the next level in personal and professional growth.
For questions contact
208.667.3459 x 123
*Lutherhaven Ministries is a 2018 Best Christian Workplaces-certified organization.
Lutherhaven Ministries operates on three sites in the scenic panhandle of northern Idaho: Camp Lutherhaven on Lake Coeur d’Alene, Shoshone Mountain Retreat in the Bitterroot Mountains near the Idaho-Montana border, and our new McPherson Meadows Ranch, recreational land acquired in December, 2018. Lutherhaven ranks among the largest Christian camps in the nation. Lutherhaven interns have the advantage of working closely with many different camp programs, gaining knowledge through hands-on experience and working directly with our seasoned professional ministry staff.
Our internship run from end of August through May. Shorter time periods may be available, and summers on each side of the internship may be add-on options.
Typical internships include outdoor education teaching, challenge course facilitating, youth and adult retreat planning and implementation, hosting guest groups, service to the greater camp community, special events, and leadership in Lutherhaven’s community- and congregation-based initiatives around the region.
Interns are provided with on-site housing and a bi-weekly salary of approximately $250 per week. Interns work from 40 to 50 hours per week, with two days off. Depending on the camp schedule, weekends and evenings may be work time. Meals are provided when served on camp. Interns are generally provided a single or double occupancy bedroom in a residence with a shared kitchen and common space.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL GROWTH
Lutherhaven Ministries Camp Ministry Internships are deeply connected to the overall purpose, vision, and mission of our camps. Interns can anticipate spiritual transformation, learning experiences, meaningful relationships, and significant memories. Interns get to see camp ministry from a whole new perspective, grow in leadership capabilities, listen for God’s call in their lives, and, prayerfully, capture a new vision for a world in need of transformation.
The program itself is built around Christ centered community that enables personal growth in leadership, communication, and relationship building, along with a deeper understanding of life and work in the context of a Christian ministry.
Essential components of the Lutherhaven internship experience include:
- Involvement of experienced leaders in mentoring
- An “apprenticeship” model of learning
- Intentional conversations concerning, vocation, calling, and giftedness
- A significant ministry experience in the organization
- Opportunities to integrate with a larger movement of emerging Christian leaders in the Pacific Northwest
Our desire is to maintain a Christ-centered community empowered by the Holy Spirit. Interns are encouraged to serve God daily by serving others, care for oneself, and celebrate the many often unforeseen gifts and opportunities God presents to us—individually and collectively—each day.
We engage interns who are the best of the best: individuals passionate about helping others grow in a closer relationship with Jesus and with others. We want interns to leave with lasting memories, close friendships, and a deeper spiritual life, through many numerous, varied and valuable learning experiences.
- Have a sincere love for God and a growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Be able to fully participate in the entire duration of the program.
- College graduate preferred.
- At least one season of camp leadership preferred.
- Between the ages of 21 and 25.
- Have enthusiasm for contributing to a learning and growing environment.
- Possess excellent speaking and writing communication skills and the ability to teach and lead others.
IDAHO SERVANT ADVENTURES is Lutherhaven Ministries’ high-energy, action-packed summer service-leadership camp that bring hundreds of students from youth groups across America together for four or five days to repair and transform homes, lives, and communities.
Over the past decade thousands of teens and adults from church youth groups around the nation have traveled to north Idaho for a summer Idaho Servant Adventure. They’ve volunteered tens of thousands of hours of service to the under-served people, organizations, communities and needs of the region as the hands, feet and voice of Jesus—and have seen their own faith and lives strengthened and transformed, as well.
CHAMP CAMP is a chance for children and youth with special needs to come and experience all that camp has to offer. Campers are cared for by trained college-aged staff and paired with young servant-leaders from around the country, increasing our camper-to-adult ratio.
SHOSHONE CREEK RANCH is Lutherhaven Ministries’ authentic mountain guest ranch welcoming youth, adults and families to a one-of-a-kind camp experience! Located on the western edge of the famous Bitterroot Mountains on the beautiful North Fork of the Coeur d’Alene River and surrounded by 2 1/2 million acres of National Forests, the ranch operates under an Outfitters & Guides Permit from the Idaho Panhandle National Forests.
NEW FOR 2019-2020 & 2020-2021: The Confirmation Project – A partnership between the Eastern Washington-Idaho Synod and Lutherhaven Ministries, with major grant funding from Always Being Made New: The Campaign for the ELCA.
The Confirmation Project is a new, 2-year pilot for youth confirmation programming across the congregations and communities of the greater Idaho Panhandle-Spokane region. Led by Lutherhaven Interns, the Confirmation Project will regularly bring a critical mass of young people together at a time in their lives when Christ-centered relationships with peers and significant adults are vital to discovering what it means to walk their Christian faith in daily living. The program launches in fall, 2019.
The Confirmation Project
- Help congregations nurture lifelong disciples of Jesus through a network of mutual support, planning, programming and resourcing.
- Helps encourage faith formation in kids across diverse “stages”—at home, in the congregation, with significant pastoral and adult mentors, in service at church and in the community, and inter-generationally among God’s people.
- Help small town and small church youth ministries and confirmation efforts gain “critical mass”—a number of participants needed to start and maintain energy.
- Helps larger urban congregations discover a new sense of calling, giving their young people and members a wider snapshot of the depth and breadth and richness of God’s Kingdom.
- Helps young people experience a robust network of the faithful in Christ who walk in Jesus.
For questions contact
208.667.3459 x 123